Looking for guilt-free comfort food? You’ve found it here. Riced Cauliflower Au Gratin is mashed potatoes’ low-carb, low-calorie cousin. The horseradish gives it a great kick. So, whether you’re looking for a delicious side dish or just love cauliflower, this is a fantastic addition to any meal.
Source: Adapted from Lori’s Cauliflower Au Gratin—uses fresh cauliflower/florets for different texture
Prep time: 30 minutes Total time: 1 hour Serves: 10
Preheat oven to 425⁰F
- 2 bags riced cauliflower
- 2 Tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 Tablespoon scallions (plus more for garnish)
- 3 Tablespoons butter
- 1 Tablespoon onion
- 1 Tablespoon minced garlic
- 1 cup vegetable broth
- 1 cup milk (this recipe used 2%)
- 2 Tablespoons prepared horseradish
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- ½ cup shredded sharp or extra sharp cheddar cheese
- Melt butter in large skillet over low heat. Add onion, garlic, and cauliflower, cooking and stirring until tender but not brown, 3-5 minutes. Pour in broth and bring to a boil. Cook over high heat until broth evaporates completely, 8-10 minutes. Remove from heat.
- Pour milk into skillet; transfer to blender and purée (or purée with an immersion blender) until smooth. Stir in horseradish, Parmesan, salt, and pepper. Transfer to a 9-inch baking dish (I used an 11-in x 7-in pan) . Top with cheddar cheese.
- Bake uncovered until golden brown, about 25 minutes. Garnish with scallions (if using).
Per 1/2 cup serving:
Calories: 60 Fat: 4g (2.6g Sat) Protein: 3g
Carb: 3g (0.7g Fiber; 1.6 Sugars) Sodium: 144 mg