Mac ‘n Cheese has been one of my favorite foods since I was a little girl—it’s total comfort to me, and one of my biggest downfalls. I’ve tried a lot of different ways to make it over the years, most of the time throwing the ingredients together and not measuring (that’s the way my Mom did it, and it worked so well!😊). The following recipe is my favorite mix of cheeses and just the right amount of sauce to keep this delectable dish creamy after baking—I finally remembered to measure!
This recipe is only for 3-4 servings—our oven wasn’t working and I had to make this batch in the toaster oven. I usually make a batch roughly twice this size, and it takes about an hour to bake.
Prep time: 20 minutes
Cook time: 30 minutes (60 minutes for larger batch)
Total time: 60 minutes (90 minutes for larger batch)
Preheat oven to 375⁰F
3 Tablespoons butter
3 Tablespoons flour
1 ¼ cup milk
3 oz Dubliner Kerrygold cheese, shredded
3 oz Gruyѐre cheese, shredded
¼ cup grated Parmesan cheese
3 cups cooked cavatappi pasta (1 ½ cups dry cavatappi–or other pasta shape of your choice)
- Melt butter in medium saucepan.
- When butter is melted, gradually add flour, stirring constantly.
- Slowly add milk—yes—keep stirring😊. Sauce will have the consistency of medium batter.
- Add cheeses slowly, stirring constantly (how’s your arm??), until cheese is melted.
- Fold in cavatappi and stir until well mixed.
- Pour mixture into 4 cup dish (used rectangular Pyrex) (fyi, 9-in x 9-in x 2-in holds 10 cups)
- Bake for 30 minutes, until top is browned. Bake longer with larger batch.
Per just-under-a-cup serving:
Total calories: 345
Total fat: 19.5g (12 sat)