These are a great game-time snack or appetizer—like eating bite-size meatball subs. It’s a simple concept—wrap a ping-pong sized meatball in garlic-butter jacket of pizza dough that‘s been lined with marinara sauce and mozzarella cheese, and bake until it’s golden brown. Genius! My source, Tasty, shows this as a ring baked in a cast iron pan—which is a really cool presentation—but in these days of Covid, we served them individually to avoid touching other people’s food…
Prep time: 20 minutes
Cook time: 20-30 minutes
Total time: 40-50 minutes
Serves: 8-10, depending on number of meatballs
- 8-10 ping-pong ball sized meatballs, cooked
- pizza dough for one crust
- 1 cup marinara sauce
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella
- ¼ cup melted butter
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 Tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese
Preheat oven to 350⁰F
- Pinch off a portion of pizza dough, and flatten out with a rolling pin, making the dough very thin.
- Top with a tablespoon of marinara sauce and mozzarella cheese.
- Add a meatball and wrap the dough around the meatball, pinching the seams to close. Repeat with remaining meatballs.
- Arrange the balls in a circle in a cast iron skillet or a circular cake pan.
- Mix the melted butter with the garlic, 2 tablespoons of parsley, and the Parmesan.
- Brush the butter mixture on the meatballs.
- Bake for 20-30 minutes or until golden brown.
- Let cool for 5-10 minutes.