It seems like my pictures never come out as appealing as the picture in the magazine but trust me, this is a delicious version of mashed potatoes that are a little fancier than straight out of the pot. It’s a little more time and an extra step, but totally worth it for this fluffy scoop of heaven. And for a more beautiful picture of the end result (because that one really is a beauty…), see
Source: SOUTHERNLIVING.COM/December 2019—for more tips on this recipe—including making it ahead—go directly to the site.
Total time: 35 minutes
2 lbs russet potatoes, peeled and cut into 2-inch pieces
2 lbs Yukon Gold potatoes, cut into 2-inch pieces
1 Tbsp. plus 2 ½ tsp. kosher salt, divided
1 cup unsalted butter
1 cup heavy cream, divided
4 large egg yolks
2 ½ oz Parmesan cheese, finely shredded (about 1 cup)
½ tsp black pepper, plus more for garnish
1 Tbsp. Chopped fresh chives (I used scallions)
- Place potatoes and 1 Tablespoon of the salt in a large pot with water to cover by 1 inch. Bring to a boil; cook until potatoes pierce easily with a knife, 15 to 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, melt butter in a medium-sized heavy saucepan over medium-high heat. Cook, stirring constantly, until the butter browns and is fragrant, about 4 minutes. Remove from heat, and immediately pour into a medium-size heatproof bowl. Set aside at room temperature to cool slightly without stirring.
- Preheat broiler to high with oven rack 8 inches from heat. Drain potatoes well, and return to pot. Add ½ cup of the cream, and blend with a hand mixer until the potatoes are very smooth. Beat egg yolks, one at a time, into the potatoes. Slowly pour in browned butter, discarding any browned bits that have settled at the bottom of the pan. Add Parmesan, ½ teaspoon pepper, remaining ½ cup cream, and 2 ½ teaspoons salt, and beat until smooth.
- Transfer to 3-qt baking dish that has been lightly greased with cooking spray.
- Broil until top is browned, 5 to 8 minutes. Sprinkle with chives and pepper.
Calories per serving: 528 Carbs: 53.6g
Fat: 36.6g (22.4 sat) Dietary Fiber: 5.1g Sugar: 5.4g