These cookies were a hit in our family. They’re easy to prepare and you can tweak the dough to make variations, such as Cookie Cup Jammies.
Chewy Sugar Cookies
Source: Allrecipes.com Dec/Jan 2020; Submitted by Cindy Catudal Shank
Prep Time: Hands on—20 minutes; Total: 1 hour
Yields: 4 Dozen
Preheat oven to 350⁰
2 ¾ cups flour
1 tsp baking soda
½ tsp salt
1 ¼ cups butter, softened
2 cups white sugar
2 tsp vanilla extract
¼ cup red or white sparkling sugar
- Whisk together flour, baking soda, and salt in a medium bowl. In a large bowl, beat together butter and 2 cups white sugar until light and fluffy (1 to 2 minutes). Beat in eggs, one at a time, then beat in vanilla. Gradually stir in flour mixture until just blended.
- Roll dough into walnut-size (1 ¼ -inch) balls and roll balls in sparkling sugar. Place cookies 2 inches apart onto ungreased cookie sheets and flatten slightly.
- Bake until cookies are lightly browned around edges, 8 to 10 minutes. Cool on cookie sheets 2 minutes; then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.
Yields: 5 ½ dozen
- Increase flour to 3 ¼ cups.
- Shape dough into 1-inch alls and omit rolling in sugar.
- Press balls into ungreased 1/3/4-inch mini muffin cups.
- Bake 8 minutes. Press centers down with the back of a measuring spoon and bake 2 minutes more.
- Cool in the mini muffin cups for 5 minutes; then cool completely on a wire rack.
- Fill each cup with 1 tsp of your favorite jam or jelly. Makes 5 ½ dozen.