My mom made fabulous brownies, and when I went to look for her recipe, it was nowhere to be found. Having tried many recipes that didn’t live up to my memories or expectations, I was interested to learn that “Mr. Food” claimed that his recipe produced brownies that “weren’t too fudgy, weren’t too cakey—they were in-between and perfect.” He was right. While individual tastes may lean toward fudgy or cakey, this is an “everybody pleaser”—perfect to bring to this summer’s BBQs. Good call, Mr. Food!
Source: Mr. Food Test Kitchen—Blue Ribbon Brownies
Prep time: 15 minutes
Cook time: 35-40 minutes
Total time: 50-60 minutes plus time to cool
Yield: 24 servings
- 3 sticks butter
- 3 cups sugar
- 5 eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 ¼ cups all-purpose flour
- 1 ¼ cups unsweetened cocoa power
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups pecans (optional)
- Cooking spray
- Preheat oven to 350⁰F. Coat a 9 x 13-inch baking dish with cooking spray.
- In a large saucepan over medium heat, melt butter. Add sugar, stirring until dissolved. Remove mixture from heat and let cool slightly. Beat in eggs, one at a time, mixing well after each addition. Stir in vanilla.
- Sift flour, cocoa, and salt together. Add flour mixture to butter mixture, mixing until combined. Stir in pecans. Spread batter in baking dish.
- Bake 35-40 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.
Nutrition facts per serving:
Calories: 241 Total Fat: 12.9g Sat Fat: 7.9g Total Carbs: 32.5g Dietary Fiber: 1.7g Total Sugars: 25.2g Sodium: 190mg Cholesterol: 58mg Protein: 2.6g