This is a distinctive looking, easy, and tasty dish. Its fun presentation may even get the attention of those eaters who when asked, “How would you like your vegetables?” reply, “On someone else’s plate!”
This particular recipe is meatless but it’s also delicious if you add sausage to the mix!
Prep: 15 min
Cook: 30 min
Total: 45 min
Yield: 4 servings
- 1 ½ pounds zucchini, halved
- 1 ½ cups dry breadcrumbs
- 2 ounces shredded Cheddar cheese
- ¼ cup minced onion
- 2 Tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- 1 ½ teaspoons salt
- ¼ cup grated Parmesan cheese, divided
- 2 large eggs, beaten
- 2 Tablespoons butter, diced
Preheat oven to 350⁰F
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Add zucchini and cook until tender, about 10-15 minutes. Drain.
- Scoop out the flesh of the zucchini, making a “boat.”
- In a medium bowl, combine the zucchini flesh, bread crumbs, Cheddar cheese, onion, parsley, salt, most of the Parmesan cheese and egg.
- Fill the zucchini boats with the mixture. Dot the tops with butter and sprinkle with remaining Parmesan cheese. (Picture shows a mix of shredded cheeses, which I baked a little too long…)
- Bake in preheated oven for 30 minutes.
Calories: 359 Fat: 17.1g Carbohydrates: 35.7g Protein: 16.7g Cholesterol: 128.6mg Sodium: 1289.1mg